In what is fast becoming the norm, Mini has announced yet another limited edition of its iconic hatch.
It’s a simple of way of reinventing the car to attract new customers, just as the number of body shapes continues to grow — ranging from the basic hatch, to four-doors, coupes, really weird coupes, station wagons and even an off road version.
Maybe it was a lack of variation that led to the demise of the Volkswagen Beetle, which never really expanded much beyond a coupe and convertible?
At any rate, just 60 examples of the Mini Kensington Edition will be offered locally and it will probably sell largely on the basis of its Union Jack tail lights (take a closer look).
Available on Cooper and Cooper S Hatches, the car is finished in a Pure Burgundy metallic colour that was previously reserved for the Clubman.
“Mini has a history of providing bespoke special-edition vehicles,” Mini Australia General Manager, Brett Waudby, said.
“We like to showcase what’s unique about the brand, and continue telling the story of exclusivity and personalisation while retaining that Mini sense of fun.
“With Kensington we have taken this a step further by offering customers the ability to secure their allocation online.
“With only 60 units coming, the race is on,” he said.
As well as the tail lights you get illuminated door sills for the first time and classy ‘K’ identifiers mounted on the side pillar.
Here’s a complete list of inclusions:
- Seven-speed double-clutch transmission (Cooper models)
- Seven-speed sports double-clutch transmission (Cooper S models)
- Mini Navigation Plus with 8.8-inch touchscreen and Mini Find Mate tags
- Driver Assist Package, featuring City Collision Mitigation, Forward Collision Warning, High-Beam Assistant and Speed Sign Recognition
- Active Package, featuring LED Headlights with Union Jack tail lights, Mini Excitement Package, White Indicator lenses, automatic climate control and Wireless phone charging (already standard on Cooper S)
- 16-inch black alloy wheels in ‘Victory spoke’ pattern (Cooper)
- 17-inch black alloy wheels in ‘Cosmos spoke’ pattern (Cooper S)
- Black roof and mirror caps
- Black JCW roof spoiler
- Panorama sunroof
- Cloth and Leather combination upholstery in Diamond Carbon Black (Cooper)
- Mini Yours Lounge Leather upholstery in Carbon Black (Cooper S)
- Mini Yours Leather steering wheel
- Chrome Line interior highlights
- Piano Black interior surfaces
- Anthracite interior headliner
- Seat heating, front (Cooper S)
All prices for Mini Kensington are driveway and it comes with a three-year warranty.
Mini Cooper 3-door Hatch Kensington Edition $41,900
Mini Cooper S 3-door Hatch Kensington Edition $52,900
Mini Cooper 5-door Hatch Kensington Edition $43,150
Mini Cooper S 5-door Hatch Kensington Edition $54,150
Customers can order the Kensington Edition online by visiting here
CHECKOUT: Mini me, Mini you, Mini anyone you want
CHECKOUT: Yeah baby! Mini sparkles for Markle